Re: Question about paginated browsing

On Thu, 2014-01-30 at 10:25 -0500, W. Michael Petullo wrote:
This is similar to what I tried to describe. However, if I ask for
10 elements and I get 10 elements, then I don't really know if (1)
there are more elements or (2) that 10th element was really the final
element, right?

Correct.

I think the result is that if things align right (or "wrong"), then
the
application will provide a "more" menu entry when, in fact, there are
no more elements to receive.

I suppose an alternative would be to do a quick one-element browse
just to
check for more. I had considered that, but thought it seemed a bit
kludgey.

Am I still missing something?

Nothing missed, everything correct. I'm not fond of the doing the quick
one-element search.

But an alternative could be that if you ask for N elements in each page
to be shown, ask for N + 1 instead. That extra +1 wouldn't be shown, but
it would be used to find out if there are more elements or not.

Other alternative could be assuming the user is going to press "More
elements", so ask them to pre-cache. If you get them, you show the "More
elements" (and the user would inmediatly see them); if not do not show
the button. Still, I don't like very much it :)

        J.A.