Re: Filtering by type

On Mon, 24 Jan 2011 16:56:11 +0100, "Juan A." Suárez Romero <jasuarez igalia com> wrote:
On Mon, 2011-01-24 at 15:49 +0000, Iago Toral wrote:
 Once you realize that you need to change the API to cover the basic
 cases, a proposal that does not change the API and cover less than
the
 basic cases does not make sense any more.

> I don't mind to forget about it and just focus in the filtering
API,
> as
> you said. But then, will that API help me to do all my operations
and
> restrict everything to the type of data I'm interesting in?
> That is, when I browse, I only want to get only the kind of medias
> that
> my application was designed for.

 There is no reason why we cannot do this for browse too if it makes
 sense.

Of course, yes to both issues :)

Then, seems I misunderstood your proposal, because I thought you were
thinking about adding a new api just for filtered search, keeping the
"normal" search as it is.

But if the idea is to provide a filtering parameter to standard search
(and thus to browse if it makes sense), so we only have one
search()/browse() operation, then I totally agree with forgetting about
this kind of filtering through flags.

That was an option, we can have search() and search_filtered() or we can have just one more parameter in search(), and whatever the decision we make, can have the same (or not) for browse, of course.

Iago