Re: [grilo-plugins] Tracker plugin new features

On 01/18/2011 01:39 PM, Juan A. Suárez Romero wrote:
> On Mon, 2011-01-17 at 12:44 +0200, Jussi Kukkonen wrote:
>> As a generic question (haven't looked at the code): Why are the
>> special
>> browse modes needed?  Are they somehow cheaper to implement than just
>> telling the application developers to use right queries?
>
> That was a try :)
>
> I think we should choose one of the modes and get rid of remaining.

Agreed, overloading the term with modes that are essentially searches
doesn't make much sense to me.

> Any preference?

I think Browse() should show the tree structure that is 'natural' to the
source -- admittedly for tracker the meaning of this is less clear than
it is for other plugins. It's noteworthy that e.g. tracker-search-tool
doesn't show anything unless you actually do a search. Maybe
grilo-tracker shouldn't implement Browse at all... but I guess picking
some implementation won't hurt if it's useful for someone.

We discussed extending the Search interface yesterday in IRC, I'll
document my thoughts on that here as it's quite related: the search
function could be extended, or additional slightly more complex
search-functions could be added. I think the media-type-filter is an
obvious addition (and one we would definitely use), but it's possible
that other users would like more options so it might pay off to make
this easily extensible...

The search options I could see myself using in other situations are
  * text (find string(s) in title, artist, etc.)
  * artist (find string in only artist, creator, etc fields)
  * title (find string in media title)
  * type (match media type)
  * (possibly some date-filtering)
I'd expect that all given options should match in a returned result.

The dangers here are
 A) adding options that cannot be implemented by all plugins and
 B) making the plugin implementations complex for little benefit.
so I'd err on the side of too few options to start with rather than add
many right away.

Jussi