Re: [GOK] gok and gnome 3.0

Hola Jorge,

On 10/02/2009 11:50 AM, Jorge Silva wrote:
> Hola,
>
>   I was looking into the Maemo OSK and I also thought it would be worth
> to see if its look & feel as well as some of the code can be recycled
> for the renewed GOK. Here is a screenshot:
> http://scyp.atrc.utoronto.ca/media/images/screenshot02.png

That keyboard definitely looks polished. In general, I think the
concepts from the on-screen keyboards on the latest generation of touch
screen enabled smart phones are useful for us because they need to take
up as a small of a screen footprint as possible. That's the same thing
we're after. We might be able to reuse / get inspiration from some of
their word prediction code too.

>   The Maemo OSK only comes up when a text entry field is selected, which
> makes it very convenient and usable (for me it is faster that typing on
> the N810 qwerty keyboard). Of course, this is not as comprehensive as
> GOK has always intended to be, but for basic text entry, it does the job
> pretty well, so I thought it could be a good starting point.

Popping up an OSK, nomon or dasher interface when entering a text entry
field certainly seems like a good feature. It's on my radar post GNOME
3.0 (see my post "plan for GNOME 3.0 - please comment").

Cheers, Ben