Format while exporting text files

    I'm trying to export text files, and it would be nice if I could preserve formatting.  I have cells formatted for numeric data, 3 decimal points, but the format is not respected when exporting.  Instead I get values like 0.004699999999999999, etc.

    The export procedure is

Data>Export as Text File...>

[File type: Text (configurable)]

[Format:  Preserve] (Auto doesn't work either)

"Save as default formatting" can be checked or not.  It makes no difference.

    Any ideas?  It would be very convenient if I could get this to export cleanly.

Rex Couture