Re: how to fill a range of cells by a date-type serie?

TO FILL A COLUMN WITH ONLY THE MONTH NAMES...

Remember this will fill the column with TEXT not date information!

The method described by Pere works if you type the month name as a proper abbreviation or a full month name
with the first letter capitalized in your locale such as:

[Jan]
[Feb]
--or--
[January]
[February]

Then drag the corner as described.

TO FILL A COLUMN WITH THE MONTHS...

This will fill the column with DATE information. (more useful)

Select the first cell to use then:

Menu: Data > Fill > Series...

Series panel
Series in: Column
Type: Date
Start value: 1/1/2016 (note date)
Step value:
Stop value: 1/1/2018 (note date)

Options panel
Date unit: Month

Output panel
no change

Then OK. The column will be filled with 'General' formatted numbers.

Select the column header
Menu: Format > Cells > Format...
Custom: mmmm (for January)

Bill

From: Pere Pujal i Carabantes <ppujal airtel net>
Subject: Re: how to fill a range of cells by a date-type serie?
Hi, in 1.12.32, catalan locale:

I type gener enter febrer enter
Results in two cells with the two first names of months, select the
two cells. Now put the pointer in the bottom right corner of the
selection, a thin cross should appear, click and drag down and you are
done, the names of the 12 moths will appear in series, works too with
abreviations. No need for control nor alt keys.

I've noticed that this is locale dependent, say when I run gnumeric in
catalan locale it doesn't work if I write the month names in English
and try the autofill. Also, you must type and select at least the
first two cells, otherwise gnumeric will just copy the entered text
around.

HTH
Pere