how to shade the background in every other row?

Hi all,

Another "newbie" question, if i might...

I've noticed that in larger spreadsheets the author often shades every other row a light gray making it easier for the eye to discriminate between rows. I can do this manually but it's very time consuming, and is broken anytime i add or delete a row. Can someone please tell me the formula to do this and how to apply it? Many thanks!

peace
bill dobbins