Re: Gnumeric increasingly slow while editing

----- Original Message -----
From: "Morten Welinder" <mortenw gnome org>
To: "Wiebe Cazemier" <wiebe halfgaar net>
Sent: Tuesday, 10 November, 2015 3:08:10 PM
Subject: Re: Gnumeric increasingly slow while editing

This could be just about anything.  Before you spend too much time
compiling the latest and greatest, you might want to run under the debugger
and get a few stack traces at times when Gnumeric is busy.  For best
results you need to install debug symbols for gtk+ and friends.

With respect to Linux Mint 17: you will need to compile libgsf and
goffice yourself too.  With that, you can use the latest Gnumeric.
Gnumeric needs to be installed (as in "make install") to find its xml file.

M.

I tried profiling a bit with Qt Creator & Callgrind, using version 1.12.9 (because that compiles easily).

It's kind of hard to see because there are cycles [1]. I tried filling a bunch of cells by pressing
1-enter-1-enter, etc, bringing CPU up significantly. It states that 'cycle 5' in sheet.c (libspreadsheet.so)
accounts for the majority (even in cost excluding called functions). If I click around, I also see that
gnm_style_borders_row_draw takes up 28%. However, when I disable that function by returning immediately, it's
still slow (and there are no borders).

[1] http://valgrind.org/docs/manual/cl-manual.html#cl-manual.cycles