Re: set decimal separator permanently

Ignore that you know about the "LC_NUMERIC" variable; figure out how
to change the locale of everything. If there isn't a setting for
only the decimal separator, try changing the language of everything,
just to see if that works.

You might find this setting in the control center.
http://mate-desktop.org/gallery/1.8/control-center.png