Re: Protecting Cells from accidental change

Oh, the poor outdated docs...

Looking into this issue, I can see there is work to do. First, Gnumeric has improved---fantastic! Second, the documentation of this issue was never complete to begin with, probably because of confusion as much as lack of time.

But first some questions. The Excel documentation:

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/excel-help/overview-of-security-and-protection-in-excel-HP005238854.aspx

discusses three levels of 'protection':
 1. Workbook
 2. Worksheet
 3. Cell
the first of which seems, due to encrypting the contents, to be some source of securing rather than merely protecting. The other two are really about simple protection rather than formal security.

In Gnumeric, Workbook protection can be done in the
    View Menu > View Properties... > Protection
setting, where a simple checkbox allows 'protecting' the whole workbook. While version 1.10.17 (the latest that I have working on Mac) has a password field, I see no way to make it active. Am I right that it does not work? If so, I take it that workbook protection in Gnumeric acts like 'protection' and not securing the file.

Worksheet protection can apparently be done in several ways:
 1. In the context menu on the worksheet tab there is a 'lock' icon
    that can be toggled on and off
 2. The same dialog can be reached from the 'Format' > 'Sheet' menu
    entry
 3. In the cell formating dialog, there is a checkbox 'protect
    workbook' reached by the 'Format' > 'Cells' > 'Format...' entry
which appear to toggle the same preference since they alter each other.

Both of those work as I expect, after locking, edit attempts pop up a new error window.

Cell protection, however, has some complex interplay with worksheet protection that I am not sure I fully understand. It seems that cell protection is a dual:
 * set 'protect' flag on worksheet
 * set 'lock' flat on cell
and that ultimately there is no 'worksheet' protection. Indeed, it seems that all cells have the 'lock' flag set by default!? I take it that is merely to make the 'worksheet protection' work as expected even if it makes the cell protection upside down.

So if one wants to protect certain cells in a worksheet, does one actually have to:
 1. Unset the 'lock' flag on all editable cells
 2. Set the 'protect' flag on the worksheet
or is something else going on? If so, cell 'lock' is really, the reverse. Cells start as 'locked when worksheet protected' and, under active user intervention, can be switched to 'allow editing even when worksheet protected'. Is that a fair summary?

Answers and clarification would be appreciated.

cheers,
  ~adrian