Protecting Cells from accidental change

Hi!

I have just accidentally changed the values in some cells. It is OK because I noticed it and have back ups but I am concerned that I might make accidental changes to the spreadsheet and not notice.

My question is what is the best way for me to make certain cells less subject to accidental changes in future? It looks like gnumeric does not have a cell protection function but I was wondering if some validation might be applied which would make the cell(s) protected. The protection would need to allow the results of formulae in the cells to change but not the formulae themselves.

Would it be possible for every cell I have entered something into to then automatically be weakly protected ie. if the value is changed a pop up could say 'do you really want to change the value of this cell'?

Best wishes from Steve