Use text-lables as x-axis values in XY Chart

Hi all,
I am trying to understand how to plot text labels on the x axis instead of progressive numbers. For example plotting the  following dataset  using an XY Chart where B is the Y:

  |     A     |        B
1 |'Sample 1' |       34
2 |'Sample 2' |       45
3 |'Sample 3' |       56

Can only return 1,2,3 as X labels on the X axis (if I select column A as (X) the plot is empty). How can I plot as X labels 'Sample 1' instead of '1', 'Sample 2' instead of '2' and so on... I am running Gnumeric 1.10.17 on Xubuntu.

Thanks a lot!