Re: Use of the END key

On 03/10/2013 10:29 PM, Andreas Guelzow wrote:
On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 22:07 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
On 03/10/2013 08:32 PM, Andreas Guelzow wrote:
On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 20:21 -0500, Jim Byrnes wrote:
On 03/10/2013 05:53 PM, marc dunord wrote:

For test purposes I have a sheet with cells A1,B1,H1 containing numbers
and C5 has a formula in it.

cntrl+right-arrow: go to rightmost filled cell

Does not go to H1. It just moves to B1. If I delete the the contents of
B1 then it will go to H1.  It seems that key combination skips over
blank cells to the next one occupied but does not simply  go to the last
occupied cell in the row.

These movement keys intentionally work within data blocks. So your
description is not quite correct:

ctrl-right-arrow skips over any number of occupied cells to the last
cell in the current data block. If you are already at the last cell of a
data block and there is more data further to the right it jumps to the
beginning of the next data-block. So if

A2,B2,C2,F2,G2,H2,K2 are occupied then starting at A2 it will jump to
C2, then F2, then H2, then K2.

ctrl-end

Andreas

OK, thanks. I tried that previously and it did not work and now I understand why. It will only take you to the end of the current row if there are no occupied cells below that row. If there are it will take you to the lower right corner of that range.

In most of my use cases I see now that it will work like I want.

Still seems strange that a simple END does not take you to the end. Given that if you hit F2 for in cell editing END will take you to the end of the data you are editing.

Regards,  Jim