summing based on more than one criteria

I have created quite a big gnumeric spreadsheet for my business and personal
finance which so far has been great. I am now having a problem summing a
column based on criteria from two other columns. I read a lot of stuff and
did get this to work on a short gnumeric spreadsheet using the sumproduct
function. However I cant apply it to what seems like a very analagous
although longer and more complicated situation in my database. It is not
helped by the fact that one criteria is a date.

I have uploaded a file with a portion of my spreadsheet. I want a formula
which calculates, for example, the amount I spent on Loose Tools in April. I
tried very hard to get sumproduct to do this but no luck.

I would be very grateful for any help on this, Steve
http://old.nabble.com/file/p33392230/example.gnumeric example.gnumeric