Re: Cross-file references

On Sat, 2011-09-03 at 00:18 +0200, Andrzej WÄ…sowski wrote:

I have some references from  a to b, and from b to a (but not cyclic).

I use the following syntax

=[a.gnumeric]sheet!A1:B2

the referencing and recalculating works as long as I have both workbooks
open simultanously.

Then I save both, and close gnumeric (entirely but gracefully).

On reopening of any of the files (or even if both are given as command
line params to the same isntance of gnumeric on startup) the references
between workbooks are broken.

During loading I get errors like the following, seemingly for each
cross-ref cell:

** (gnumeric:23117): WARNING **: Unparsable expression for D26:
=[A.gnumeric]ass!M16

** (gnumeric:23117): WARNING **: XML-IO : Shared expression with no
expression ??

and the cross-refs are turned into text fields (quoted fields).
Needless to say this means that working with cross-references is
impossible in gnumeric (only works until first quit).  Is that really
correct?

This is a known bug. If you had only references from a to b you could
open the refered file first and then the referring file and things would
work. Essentially at te time you open a file the workbook referred to
must also be open.

I know, that makes cross file references nearly useless.

(There are alss other problems but you may not have encountered them
since both of your files are in the same directory.)

Andreas
--
Andreas Guelzow <aguelzow pyrshep ca>