accessing gnumeric data externally

Hello,

  I'd like to access gnumeric data externally (let's say from a python
or bash script).
  Example: I have a workbook wb1.gnumeric with the value 1 in cell A1, 2
in cell A2 and the function =A1+A2 in cell A3. I would like to be able
to change the input cells (A1,A2) and access the results of A3 from
outside gnumeric.

  From what I've found through the web, this is possible internally
through the python console. There are a few threads about a python API,
but I can't find anything clear on this. So the only working way would
be to do some work in C.  (in something similar to ssconvert.c).

  Am I on the right track?

Regards,

Nico.