Re: Date and time formats

On Tue, 2010-06-01 at 15:04 -0400, Morten Welinder wrote:
Format Date has no ISO format yyyy-mm-dd.

Hmm...  I thought we had that one.  I will add it.

I remember noticing this was missing at some point. Yes, please add it,
often people can be persuaded to use this less ambiguous format if you
provide it.

In the meantime, use Custom and enter "yyyy-mm-dd" and you will
get what you want.

Format Time has no time zone data.

That is correct.  Times are in fractional days and pays no attention
to timezones.  This is semantics that we (and most other
spreadsheets, I believe) have inherited from past and dark times.
It is not likely to change.  That leaves you with keeping track of
timezones some other way

Generally people aren't very good at timezones and should avoid them. If
you can work entirely entirely in local time, try that. Otherwise, pick
either a single timezone (say, the one where most people on a project
work) or a universal time system (typically UTC, but possibly UT1 or TAI
for scientific projects) and use it consistently.

Nick.