Re: Help with Gnumeric

Le vendredi 03 octobre 2008 à 12:43 +0000, Robert Paul Bywater a écrit :

I am a novice at Gnumeric so I need help.

I have an array in a Gnumeric sheet, let's call it B1:K50.

I want to do numeric operations on *all* the elements in this array.

Firstly, I highlight the array. (But one cell seems to still be more
'active' than the others,
it is white while the others are blue. It is usually B1. Why is that?
I want my formula applied
to *all* the cells. How do I ensure this?).

The destination cells should not be the same as the cells containing
your original data, or you'll end with cyclic dependencies which might
not give anything significant.

One kind of operation I want to do is like this:
=product((a-B1:K50)*(b-B1:K50))
where a,b are constants and are integers as are the elements in
B1:K50.

I don't undestand your formula. Anyway, the product function does not
accept that kind or argument. You might use =product(B1:K50) to get the
product of all the values in the range.
To use something as =(a-B1:K50)*(b-B1:K50), first select an empty range
of the appropriate size (50 rows * 10 columns), then type the formula,
and then type Ctrl-Shift-Enter. The first cell will containthe result of
(a-B1)*(b-B1), the cell just below will have the result of (a-B2)*(b-B2)
and so on.

Then I type Ctrl-Shift-Enter (as stated in the manual).

All that happens is that I get text in another cell like A52 (or just
anywhere, usually in A) which
says things like #VALUE? or #NAME?

But I nothing happens to the elements in my array.

Can anyone advise me what to do?

You might want to read a spreadsheet tutorial, there are many available
on the web, and most current spreadsheets have the same behavior.

Regards,
Jean

Thanx if you can // RobertB