Help with Gnumeric

I am a novice at Gnumeric so I need help.

I have an array in a Gnumeric sheet, let's call it B1:K50.

I want to do numeric operations on *all* the elements in this array.

Firstly, I highlight the array. (But one cell seems to still be more 'active' than the others,
it is white while the others are blue. It is usually B1. Why is that? I want my formula applied
to *all* the cells. How do I ensure this?).

One kind of operation I want to do is like this:
=product((a-B1:K50)*(b-B1:K50))
where a,b are constants and are integers as are the elements in B1:K50.

Then I type Ctrl-Shift-Enter (as stated in the manual).

All that happens is that I get text in another cell like A52 (or just anywhere, usually in A) which
says things like #VALUE? or #NAME?

But I nothing happens to the elements in my array.

Can anyone advise me what to do?

Thanx if you can // RobertB