Re: Another try to get a response

On 19/11/2008 07:54, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
On Wed, 2008-11-19 at 07:43 +1100, John Machin wrote:
On 19/11/2008 06:39, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
On Tue, 2008-11-18 at 20:30 +0100, Lutz Müller wrote:
On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 21:53 -0800, George Dell wrote:
In going to the web page "Getting Gnumeric" the new, excited, but
unknowledgeable potential user is confronted with an immediate
technospeak problem.
You are probably expecting something like
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en?

I doubt he would be happy just downloading a tar ball, which is what
happens when I access that url and click the main button.
Under the main button there is a link "Other Systems and Languages". In any case, if you were to access that URL from a Windows box, you would find that the main button offered the Windows version (British English); the US website offers the Windows version (US English).

I don't recall George Dell ever saying that he is using MS Windows.

That's correct; he didn't say he is using Windows. He did however mention "Windows File Association".

Do
you assume that he is using it

No, I don't assume that he is using it. Merely pointing out that *if* he is using Windows, Firefox wouldn't offer him a tarball; it would offer him a Windows installer, which *IS* easy to install.

since he is having problems installing
Gnumeric?
That assumptions itself speaks volumes.

That extreme non-sequitur may have been behind *your* reasoning when you wrote "(Considering your question I suppose you are using MS Windows. In that case you chose an operating system that is designed to avoid having
competitors software installed easily. I suggest you get another
operating system.)" but please don't try to lump it on me.