Re: Sorting column of formulae destroys them.

Peap wrote:
I'm using Gnumeric 1.6.3 in WinXPSP2.  I have a spreadsheet for simple
calculations.  Within, A1-A20 is filled with Number values like so:

0.725
2.075
3.275
4.325
5.225

A22-A401 is filled with permutations like so:

=A1+A2
=A1+A3
=A1+A4
=A20+A17
=A20+A18
=A20+A19

When I sort A22-A401, the vast majority of the cells display "#REF!". Within the cells, a seemingly random selection of first and second cell refs
became "#REF!".

About 5% of the sorted cells end up with values.

A few of them have wacky cell refs, like "=A234+A47".

When you try to Undo the sort, another set of "#REF!" appear in the column.

What on earth is going on?  Sorting is a basic function.
you probably want to do something like copying A1:A401, edit->paste special->as values to another column, let's say col B.
Then you can sort column B.
You can't really sort formulas that have to be re-evaluated, only values.