Re: Google Summer of Code 2008

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 6:02 AM, Jody Goldberg <jody gnome org> wrote:
A few suggestions.
1) We should not need to manually call the cmdio_... for each
  command.   Please make them virtuals in GnmCommandClass.

2) Your question about element vs attribute now is clearer now.
  You've tilted a bit too far towards to element in this first
  pass.  e.g. write_position and write_sheet are both common enough
  that they should likely be attributes of the commands IMO.

3) cmdio_write_sheetview shouldn't exist.  The commands should be
  storing explicit positions, and we can discuss the utility of
  optionally adding a 'that was the current selection' flag.

In the last week I've made a lot of changes in response to these
suggestions.  The new patch is available at
http://www.hiopie.com/files/gsoc/command-persist.tar.gz

At this point only some basic commands are working (set text, set text
area, ins/del colrow, etc.), but as far as I can tell they are fully
functional on the export side.

Things I did this week include:
 - Exporting Pango markup from the set text command
 - Exporting Borders from the format command
 - Using attributes for almost everything in xml
 - Making functions virtual in GnmCommandClass and calling them from
command_push_undo
 - Starting storing positions and ranges as strings ("A2:C5") instead
of as integers (pos=1, col=3)
 - Changing the way SheetView's are stored

Next, I plan on trying to import and execute some of these commands.
That should let me know if I need to make any changes to the way
commands are exported.  I will also be adding some more of the
commands that I don't have working at this point.

Any comments and/or criticisms are greatly appreciated.
Daniel