Re: "Crystall Ball" and "@Risk" Users using Gnumeric

For Monte Carlo,
the "at most 2 inputs" restruction is can be circimvented.

Example, the Excel way
In A1:A10 put =RAND()
in B1 put =SUM(A1:A10)

in F2:F101 put the numbers 1 to 100
in G1 put =B1

Select F1:G101 and create a data table with
column input cell D1. This is a dummy, nothing is dependent on D1.
Each recalculation step will recompute ALL the random numbers in A1:A10,
therefore you can have as many random inputs in your model.

The trick is to use a dummy input cell just to trigger the generation of
new random numbers.

Gideon Butalid wrote:
One Gnumeric developer, I think it was Jody Goldberg, wrote that Data
Tables are supported in Gnumeric though the GUI isn't present yet.
Additionally Data Tables are only applicable for models if you have two
uncertain variables. I have more than two most of the time. I think I
have to use static random numbers, crude old style monte carlo
simulation. Thanks though, nice link by the way.

On 7/27/07, *Erich Neuwirth* <erich neuwirth univie ac at