Simple python programming

Hi!

I am using a python program to "produce" a very large "sheet" of data
which I write to a csv file.
Then I "read" it with gnumeric and then use copy/paste-special-value to
put it in another sheet of another book to feed many other sheets of
that book (refs to formulas).
Is it currently (1.7.11) possible to write that data directly from the
python program into the sheet cells?
I would be happy if I could choose a sheet by its name and then iterate
thru its cells (rows and cols) and write strings/numbers there. Such a
simple example would be very apreciated.

BTW, I found
http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~ctwardy/starting-with-python.html but I
don't want to follow it and find at the end that it does not work!. Is
this stuff still valid?

Thanks for any help.