Re: spreadsheet file is missing changes

I just did a search for files with a name containing ".gsf" and found nothing. I went ahead and spent a good half day recreating the spreadsheet - it was needed for my son's Cub Scouts Pinewood Derby race tonight.

I'm going to try and replicate the problem to see if it is a bug. This is what I did:

1. Created a new gnumeric spreadsheet.

2. Added some new sheets to the file.

3. Saved the file, and left it open.

4. Left my laptop on and the the battery expired, thus turning off the OS.

5. Power-up my laptop and restarted the OS.

6. Opened the gnumeric file, and the data was lost.

Morten, thank you very much for you assistance with my isssue.

-Ken

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 18:57 -0500, Morten Welinder wrote:
 Also, after doing
> the gunzip, the file is now completely empty. I guess it is completely lost.

The gunzip command I showed does not change the source
file.  It creates a new.  (*.xml)

>  Does gnumeric store a backup of the files somewhere?

It creates new file as .gsf* and and completion renames
that on top of the target file.  Thus you might have a .gsf*
file if something went wrong.

Morten