Re: spreadsheet file is missing changes

Ken Hill wrote:
When I try the gunzip... command I get:

"gunzip: stdin: unexpected end of file"

I'm using version 1.5.90 (that came with Ubuntu Breezy). Also, after doing the gunzip, the file is now completely empty. I guess it is completely lost.

Does gnumeric store a backup of the files somewhere?
Using the same versions as what you cited above pertaining to Gnumeric and the Linux os, I see only the files themselves in the directory where I store files.  If you had set the autosave on from the Tools menu, you just might have a copy (assuming here) in the same directory.  Check with ls -la <directory>.

I do not know Gnumeric well enough to tell you if a copy is stored by default in another directory.  In my experience with Xemacs and emacs the backups are auto saves (from memory) are bracketed by the "#" symbol.  Other saved files I have seen use the "~" at the end of the file name.

You could try this command: sudo find / -name '<file name here>' -print

This is run in a terminal - Go to Applications > Terminal

This will immediately ask for your pass word, because every directory is going to be searched and as a user you lack the rights to view.  In Ubuntu the password into su (or root) is your main user's password.

On the search string, you can do without the single quote and absolutely do not use the arrow heads: "<" or ">".  I would suggest using only the beginning of the file name.

If you have a large disc or a slow machine the find command can take a while before you see anything.

Hope This Helps: HTH.