Re: NEW: axis padding property

Hi,

On jeu, 2006-08-17 at 17:19 +0200, Frederic Parrenin wrote:
- the manipulation of charts is quite slow in gnumeric. For example,
double-clicking on a chart to have its properties takes 1-2 seconds,
which is boring when repeated a lot of times and leaves a bad
impression. Is there a fundamental reason for this slowlyness?

With simple graphs, it should be fast enough, i.e. < 0.5 s. Is chart
editor always slow to appear ? Or does it happen only with some of your
charts ?

- the access to the chart properties needs a double-click and opens a
new window. It seems to me a better UI could be achieved by putting a
side pane in gnumeric with these chart properties. This side pane could
be permanent, in particular on sheet-charts. Have ever thought about
this idea?

Sure it would be great. And it will happen some day... I'm not sure
about the side pane though, since current property editor will not fit
nicely in gnumeric UI (It's to wide to be on left or right side, and
will leave to much blank space if put on top or on bottom). A dialog
will probably be better.

- Will there be the possibility to move/select individual objects in
charts in the next gnumeric version? (It seems you started working on
that already)

There's the beginning of direct object manipulation in CVS. But it still
need some work. Currently, chart is completely re-rendered on every
mouse movement, so on heavy graphs it's unusable. What I'll probably try
will be to disable plot area content rendering during manipulation, or
even implement a fast mode which will plot only a subset of graph data.

http://emmanuel.pacaud.free.fr/screenshots/gnumeric/goffice-mouse-01.gif

        Emmanuel.