Re: compiling gnumeric etc.

As Morten points out:
> It is not simple and there are more traps than you might
want.

My own experience is that it is not too difficult to GET the code, but the configure/compile/link are far from trivial. The main issues in my case have been libraries that are not as recent as Gnumeric wants. Unfortunately, installing newer libraries can "break" other applications. There are ways round this I've heard about but not tried, in large measure because I haven't found a good tutorial that might be entitled "How to safely build a program that uses more recent libraries than your system uses". I'd be happy to learn of such a HowTo, or to contribute to its development by being a suitable test "stooge".

One thing I have done is use Debian "apt-get source gnumeric" to get a version of the source code I COULD build. In my case I managed fine with 1.4.3 on a Xandros 3.02 box, and 1.5.9 on Ubuntu Breezy.

JN

--
John C. Nash, School of Management, University of Ottawa,
Vanier Hall 451, 136 Jean-Jacques Lussier Private,