Re: new documentation format

Le mardi 29 novembre 2005 à 11:06 -0500, Morten Welinder a écrit :
On 11/28/05, Nicholas Lamb <njl ecs soton ac uk> wrote:

Is there any documentation on how to write function docs with the new
format? Compared to what I've seen so far it needs at least:

The test case for the new docs has so far been fn-R.  We haven't sorted
about the example issues yet.

Just thinking about we might want to have something like:

   { GNM_FUNC_HELP_EXAMPLE_1, "GCD(10,15)" }

where Gnumeric would parse the string as a (C-locale) formula, compute
the result, and display the example.  The format to use to display the result
would simply been the automatically deduced format by auto-format.c,
falling back to "General".

That should be good enough for hundreds of functions.  It won't work for
INDEX and other range-type functions.  This might work:

   { GNM_FUNC_HELP_EXAMPLE_TABLE, "A1:42" }
   { GNM_FUNC_HELP_EXAMPLE_TABLE, "A2:-1.14" }
   { GNM_FUNC_HELP_EXAMPLE_TABLE, "A3:\"4\"" }
   { GNM_FUNC_HELP_EXAMPLE_TABLE, "A4:=SUM(A1:A3)" }
   { GNM_FUNC_HELP_EXAMPLE_TEXT, N_("Since SUM ignores string...")}

The help system would have to build a little workbook internally, but I don't
see any problems with that.

Note, that formulas and values about are not translated.  We might need the
occational translated string constant, though.

Comments?

Might be unrelated, but does the format change allows for function name
translation? Both excel and OOo used localized function names.

Cheers,
Jean