Re: [devel] GOCollab, Peer-to-Peer collaborative document preperation.

On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 13:09 +0100, Calum Benson wrote:
On Mon, 2005-05-16 at 18:28 +1000, Martin Sevior wrote:

  read this document. This topic is a very interesting one as I thought
about that topic too, but I have one important question about collision
checking/processing:

FWIW, SubEthaEdit has been doing this sort of thing on the Mac for a
while:
http://www.codingmonkeys.de/subethaedit/collaborate.html

It also relies on social engineering to avoid people typing over each
other, although since it uses Bonjour/Rendezvous (the Mac's built-in
zeroconf implementation), as does iChat (the Mac's built-in videoconf
app), you're only a nicely-integrated click or two away from a text,
voice or video link with your co-authors, which makes resolving
conflicts that bit simpler:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:SubEthaEditExtremeProgramming.png

Thanks Calum,
             I believe SubEthaEdit was the app that got Jeff thinking
about how much he'd like to have GNOME-Office apps do real-time updates.

Since the GNOME (and Gtk) Free Software world contains beautiful and
powerful communication tools like gaim, xchat, gnome-meeting and
evolution we have the opportunity to go one better than both MicorSoft
and Apple by providing immediate collaborative document development in
our productivity apps.

From my lurking on the inkscape-dev list it appears they're some way
towards a shared documents with real-time updates. We could use inkscape
as a shared whiteboard for doodling ideas as another way of resolving
these types of conflicts.

Cheers

Martin