Sharing Gnumeric Files on a network

I am using Fedora Core 2 with version 1.2.8 of Gnumeric.  I have many files in both Gnumeric and ms excel formats on a samba share on a network server that are modified throughout the day.  Is there some way that I can set up open office so that if one user has a particular file open and then someone else tries to open it, it will come up with a warning and only allow them to open it read only?  MS Office will do this with no configuration, but I don´t know if it is a feature of the OS or the Office suite?  Should I be looking to Samba or NFS to provide this functionality?

Thanks in advance for any insight,

Mason Sanders