Re: File extension when saving

Thank you for your response:

I may actually take the time to file a bug report; however, you state
that this is a well reasoned feature, not a bug.  Other programs do
automatically add the extension (eg, The Gimp), without complaining
about a dot in the file name.  What's the big deal, if it isn't a nod
to the dark side?

Forgive my (lack of) humor.

And I hope you will not take it as an unkindness if I suggest that
perhaps a check of the file's internal content would provide a more
reliable indication of the type of file involved?  I may be missing
something here.

I apologize if my statement seemed to be over-the-top, or in any way
critical of the excellent work of the volunteers who have been
developing this great (and improving!) package.  Thanks and Kudo's to
everyone.  In my humble, user's opinion, and suspicion, it would be
possible to do what the developers have in mind, without penalizing the
use of any sort of legal filename, whatsoever.  Unless this is
necessary to accede to a M$ designed behavior, most of which that I
have encountered seem to be idiosyncratically flawed.  I may be wrong
about all or any of this.

Thanks again.  Your answer did help.  Some.

Alan Davis

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 23:26:59 -0500