printing envelopes/labels from membership database

A newbie here, with little spreadsheet exposure.

I've been given the task to create a membership file for an
organization of about 1000 members. This would include names,
addresses, e-mail addresses, membership status, dues info, attendance,
etc.

My aim is to be able to either print envelopes with the addresses or
at least a label set. Apparently the gnumeric manual is under
construction, and I did not find the FAQ and list archives to be of
help. In general terms, how does one go about printing envelopes?

I run Debian sarge. For producing printed text, I use LaTeX, and for
DTP, scribus. Most work, such as programming, is done under emacs.

Although OT, perhaps someone will also kindly offer a few hints about
developing a membership list spreadsheet.

Haines Brown