Re: A newbie asks about printing labels

On Sun, 2005-27-02 at 07:24 -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
I'm in a position of having to begin using gnumeric to handle the
membership of a large organization, with very little experience in
gnumeric and none at all in Excel.

I've entered much of the data, and know that eventually I'll need to
print labels from it. I don't use a word processor, but LaTeX (with
emacs under Debian sarge).

I'm told that gnumeric-->TeX is the conventional way of doing labels,
but I'm uncertain how to go about that.

This may be the conventional way to do labels but it is not the easy
way. I would export the data from Gnumeric into a csv file and then use
glabels, a program specifically designed to print labels. I have always
found doing labels in TeX or LaTeX to be more of a pain than worth the
trouble. (I do virtually everything else in LaTeX.)

Can anyone point me to a
source of information or offer a little guidance?

And a newbie question about the suitability of my organization of data
in gnumeric for printing labels. I have put addresses in three
columns: a) a column, usually empty, but available for cases where
there might be either a c/o or a two-line street address, b) a street
address, and c) city-state-zip.

This sounds okay to me.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences