Re: Printer fonts and screen fonts differ

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:47:41 -0700
From: Raymond Lillard <rlillard sonic net>
Subject: Printer fonts and screen fonts differ
To: gnumeric-list gnome org

In a nutshell, the printed (and previewed) output does not look
like what I see on the screen.  The root of the problem is that
the printed characters are wider on the paper (and in the preview)
than they are on the screen.  They may be taller too, but that
is more easily tolerated.

My problem is exacerbated by the fact that this spreadsheet has
many "super" cells that are an aggregation of adjacent cells
with several lines of wrapped text.  The differences in character
width cause additional lines of wrapping in the print version
which results in hidden text.  Opening up the on-screen version
results in unnecessary white-space due to extra cells being
needed to prevent overflow in the print version.  No matter
where or how I compensate for this, something looks ugly.

I run into similar problem when I run gnumeric whitout gnome
initialization like starting fvwm2 standalone.

If I run something like:
/usr/lib/control-center/gnome-settings-daemon
--oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon --oaf-ior-fd=31
and then start gnumeric, things go fine.

Hope it helps.
Pere