Re: Printer fonts and screen fonts differ

Pere Pujal i Carabantes wrote:
>>Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:47:41 -0700
>>From: Raymond Lillard <rlillard sonic net>
>>Subject: Printer fonts and screen fonts differ
>>To: gnumeric-list gnome org
>>
>> In a nutshell, the printed (and previewed) output does not look
>> like what I see on the screen.  The root of the problem is that
>> the printed characters are wider on the paper (and in the preview)
>> than they are on the screen.
> I run into similar problem when I run gnumeric whitout gnome
> initialization like starting fvwm2 standalone.
>
> If I run something like:
> /usr/lib/control-center/gnome-settings-daemon
> --oaf-activate-iid=OAFIID:GNOME_SettingsDaemon --oaf-ior-fd=31
> and then start gnumeric, things go fine.

I am running Gentoo and the Gnome system is at v2.10.
I have not been able to find an application called,
"gnome-settings-daemon".  I am guessing you are using
an earlier Gnome or the Gentoo folks have rewired my
Gnome somehow.  BTW, I boot my system into run-level 3
and start X11 by hand.  I am running Xfce4, v4.2.2.

In any event, I have not yet been able to understand
how your advice and experience relates to my system,
but I'm still working on it.

This problem does not exist with AbiWord.  I can type
a multi-line paragraph into it and the Preview is
identical to screen version.  The only application
I see this problem with is Gnumeric.  OpenOffice is
fine also.

BWT, I have tried many fonts, both common and obscure.
The problem is consistent.  I'm beginning to think it
is a Gnumeric thing and not the fault of the Gnome
under-pinnings.

Thanks all,
Ray