Re: fit to = 0 usability question...

Hi Wayne,

On Fri, 2005-08-04 at 10:32 +1000, Wayne Schuller wrote:
hi Andreas,

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 06:59 -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
You would be correct if there were a single 0, but the dialog has
separate numbers for pages wide and pages tall. So 1 page wide and 0
pages tall just means reduce the width so that we only use one page wide
but print several pages for the height of the document. This is my
preferred version and I would love that it to default to that but other
users will have other preferences.

Yes ok. "1" and "0" would be a much saner (+ usable) default than "0"
and "0".

I could imagine that we could sneak that into gnumeric.

Special use of 0 is still not quite intuitive

I think we all agree that this is far from optimal, but so far nobody
has come up with a better interface. Personally I would like to see 3
radio buttons:
O  Fit to ... pages wide by ... tall
O  Fit to ... pages wide
O  Fit to ... pages tall

or (second choice) a radio button, checkbox combo:

O  Fit to:    x  ... pages wide
              X  ... pages tall

with the special value 0 if used internally hidden from the user.

Unfortunately the dialog is already bursting at the seems and this would
require much more space.

- is it documented? (my
help system is not talking to gnumeric just yet - a quick scan of the
xml shows it isn't.) We should document, it is obviously a useful
feature!

I think this feature is that obscure that it wasn't thought of when the
documentation was written. I think everybody would agree that it ought
to be documented.

Andreas

--
Prof. Dr. Andreas J. Guelzow
Dept. of Mathematical & Computing Sciences