Re: row and column size not being preserved when switching X displays

On Wed, 3 Nov 2004, Nick Lamb wrote:

Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 18:21:43 +0000
From: Nick Lamb <njl98r ecs soton ac uk>
To: Gnumeric Dev List <gnumeric-list gnome org>
Subject: Re: row and column size not being preserved when switching X
    displays

On Wed, Nov 03, 2004 at 05:23:53PM +0000, Alan Horkan wrote:
Hopefully a smart and almost completely automatic method can be
implemented by taking the DPI provided by the XServer as a
'recommendation' (but without trusting it so much as to get caught
out by disinformation).

Gnumeric should be able to do just fine by clamping the provided resolution
value within a reasonable range (say 50-250 dpi) and providing some sort
of override (e.g. the existing gconf value).

Actually I suspect that The GIMP could scrap this particular run-time
setting and get away with it these days.

However scrapping the entire run-time config is dangerous because The
GIMP is a big beasty -

Keep the options, put them in the preferences dialog (or bury them in a
well documented config file).

Which is what Gnumeric does.

Provide the best defaults possible.
Kill the unnecessary questions at startup.
Don't confuse new users with questions they won't know how to answer.

Which is what Gnumeric does.

Hope that makes it clearer what I meant.
(I'd rather not talk further on list about issue not specifically related
to the Gnumeric user interface which I do actually like.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

http://advogato.org/person/AlanHorkan/
Inkscape, Draw Freely http://inkscape.org