Re: Gnumeric and RHEL3
- From: Allin Cottrell <cottrell wfu edu>
- To: Morten Welinder <mortenw gnome org>
- Cc: gnumeric-list gnome org
- Subject: Re: Gnumeric and RHEL3
- Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 22:41:33 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Morten Welinder wrote:
Anything that does not interoperate with the default terminal window
(that would be xterm) is broken. No "ifs" and no "buts" about it.
Thus, Gnome (and not Emacs) is broken in this regard.
In more boring moments I might accept that there are points to be made
on both sides of the issue, but the traditional X copy-paste mechanism
is so convenient for the practiced user that I second your view.
Given a choice between:
1. Drag with mouse to select (and implicitly copy); click middle-mouse
to paste; and
2. Drag with mouse to select, Ctrl-C (or drag menu and choose
Edit/Copy) to copy; focus with mouse then Ctrl-V (or drag menu and
Edit/Paste) to paste,
it's clear that the former beats the pants off the latter as a snappy
means of information transfer between apps. And personally I'm always
disappointed with an app on my X11 desktop that doesn't honor the
] [Thread Prev