Re: Gnumeric and RHEL3

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Morten Welinder wrote:

Anything that does not interoperate with the default terminal window (that would be xterm) is broken. No "ifs" and no "buts" about it.

Thus, Gnome (and not Emacs) is broken in this regard.

Go, Morten!

In more boring moments I might accept that there are points to be made on both sides of the issue, but the traditional X copy-paste mechanism is so convenient for the practiced user that I second your view.

Given a choice between:

1. Drag with mouse to select (and implicitly copy); click middle-mouse to paste; and

2. Drag with mouse to select, Ctrl-C (or drag menu and choose Edit/Copy) to copy; focus with mouse then Ctrl-V (or drag menu and Edit/Paste) to paste,

it's clear that the former beats the pants off the latter as a snappy means of information transfer between apps. And personally I'm always disappointed with an app on my X11 desktop that doesn't honor the first protocol.

Allin Cottrell