Re: Gnumeric and RHEL3

Thanks everyone,

I seem to have stirred quite a discussion with my problem.

Gnumeric (1.0.12-3) on RedHat 9 will accept cut and paste from xterm
and emacs, gnumeric (1.2.1-1) on RHEL3 (with some rpms from fedora
core 1) will not. I suspect that the change is in other parts of
gnome rather than in gnumeric itself. I still have another machine on
RH9 so that I can check.

I have tried Nick Lamb's suggestion

     The command `M-x menu-bar-enable-clipboard' makes the `Cut', `Paste'
  and `Copy' menu items, as well as the keys of the same names, all use
  the clipboard.

but it does not seem to work for me, and would still leave the xterm
problem. Using gedit as an intermediary is a workaround.

Perhaps the gconf suggested by Morten Welinder holds a clue. I'm just
a user, not a linux programmer, and am ignorant of such things. I find
in  /etc/gconf/schemas/gnumeric-general.schemas

      <schema>
        <key>/schemas/apps/gnumeric/cut-and-paste/prefer-clipboard</key>
        <applyto>/apps/gnumeric/cut-and-paste/prefer-clipboard</applyto>
        <owner>Gnumeric</owner>
        <type>bool</type>
        <default>TRUE</default>
        <locale name="C">
        <short>Prefer CLIPBOARD over PRIMARY selection</short>
        <long>When TRUE, Gnumeric will prefer the modern CLIPBOARD selection over the legacy PRIMARY
selections.  Set to FALSE if you have to deal with older applications, like Xterm or Emacs, which set only
the PRIMARY selection.</long>
        </locale>

I will try working on that.

I still have that other problem, that of not getting the correct gnome
widget for parsing of imported data, one of my libraries must be
wrong. The widget that appears has the title "Text Import
Configuration" and is 1280x617 pixels in its (unchangeable) size. In
which library does the proper one reside?