Re: Gnumeric and RHEL3

On Tue, Jul 13, 2004 at 11:32:59PM -0600, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:
No. Gnumeric uses the X CLIPBOARD not the X PRIMARY selection. (X has 2
different clipboards, one which should holds the current selection
(PRIMARY) and one that holds explicitly copied text (CLIPBOARD). Emacs
uses only PRIMARY. GNUMERIC is trying to do the right thing (according
to X) by using CLIPBOARD. As a consequence we emacs users are getting

The Emacs maintainers have, so I'm told, promised to fix this more than
once. I think in the end as a compromise they've elected to leave the default
Emacs behaviour broken (as that matches the expectations of long-term Emacs
users who would otherwise complain) and provide a set of hooks...

--begin quote from Google search result--

   As well as the primary and secondary selection types, X supports a
"clipboard" selection type which is used by some applications,
particularly under OpenWindows and Gnome.

   The command `M-x menu-bar-enable-clipboard' makes the `Cut', `Paste'
and `Copy' menu items, as well as the keys of the same names, all use
the clipboard.

   You can customize the option `x-select-enable-clipboard' to make the
Emacs yank functions consult the clipboard before the primary
selection, and to make the kill functions to store in the clipboard as
well as the primary selection.  Otherwise they do not access the
clipboard at all.  Using the clipboard is the default on MS-Windows,
unlike most systems.

--end quote from Google search result--

Try that, maybe if it works in your Emacs it will do what you would like,
though most likely you'll find that other things you're used to doing will
stop working.

Nick.