Re: Gnumeric vs. OOCalc

On Sat, Apr 24, 2004 at 07:37:07PM -0400, Brian Chase wrote:
Well, I've primarily focused my energies in Linux to server
capabilities, but with the applications growing ever stronger on the
desktop, I've been using more and more desktop Linux.  I am interested
in feedback on the specific comparison of OpenOffice Calc vs. Gnumeric.

Being an experienced Excel user, I find Gnumeric a much easier
transition to make, many of the same icons as Excel, things I use alot
like the "sum" button, function button, and $ formatting in particular.

Anybody know of good writeups of the two in a face-off?  Google brought
me little in this regard, except for a few kudo's for Gnumeric, similar
to my early impressions of the two as they stack up.

Warning : I maintain Gnumeric and have all the biases you'd expect
        in that direction.  However, I'm also Canadian so there will
        be a healthy dose of self deprecation in there too :-)

Gnumeric is significantly better analyticly.
    - More worksheet functions
    - More accurate functions (stats and worksheet)
    - More compatible with XL (array and iterative formulas)

OOCalc implements a few more features, such as pivot tables and
conditional formating.  However, Gnumeric holds its own with
diagonal borders, and 64k rows.  Deciding which is more XL
compatible depends where your needs are.

There have been a few reviews, but they all tend to begin by saying
    "I'm not a spreadsheet user but ..."

It's my belief that we're a better spreadsheet, but lack the tight
integration with an office suite.