Re: 256-column limit

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

Yes, I used the configurable text import.  Gnumeric read the first 256
columns fine, but didn't give me any indication that it was ignoring
the remaining 200-odd columns.

That does not sound correct: In the configurable import dialog you are
asked to select the columns to import. I suspect you did not select all
columns (It does not allow you to select more than 256 columns)

I rebuilt gnumeric with 256 cols max to try the experiment, and here's
what I saw:

In the import dialogs, all 550+ columns are shown.  If I scroll to the
right I can see that those beyond 256 are not "checked" for import.
However, you do have to scroll far to the right to see that.  If you
just carry out the import accepting the defaults, there is no visible
indication that some data will be ignored.

Allin Cottrell