Re: 256-column limit

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 11:23, Allin Cottrell wrote:
On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 08:42, Allin Cottrell wrote:
One other point in this area.  I've recently been working with a large
CSV file, and at first I didn't notice that it had been truncated by
gnumeric, since this was done silently.  When I tried opening the same
CSV file in Excel I got a warning saying it had not been completely
loaded.  Such a warning seems quite important!

What part of the csv file was truncated? Did you use the configurable
text-import?

Yes, I used the configurable text import.  Gnumeric read the first 256
columns fine, but didn't give me any indication that it was ignoring
the remaining 200-odd columns.

That does not sound correct: In the configurable import dialog you are
asked to select the columns to import. I suspect you did not select all
columns (It does not allow you to select more than 256 columns)

I may be wrong since I can't try it out in the moment but I'll have a
look tonight.

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow taliesin ca>
Taliesin