Re: 256-column limit

On Wed, 7 Apr 2004, Andreas J. Guelzow wrote:

On Wed, 2004-04-07 at 08:42, Allin Cottrell wrote:
One other point in this area.  I've recently been working with a large
CSV file, and at first I didn't notice that it had been truncated by
gnumeric, since this was done silently.  When I tried opening the same
CSV file in Excel I got a warning saying it had not been completely
loaded.  Such a warning seems quite important!

What part of the csv file was truncated? Did you use the configurable
text-import?

Yes, I used the configurable text import.  Gnumeric read the first 256
columns fine, but didn't give me any indication that it was ignoring
the remaining 200-odd columns.

A couple of additional points on big sheets:

1. I've now rebuilt gnumeric 1.2.8 with the default SHEET_MAX_COLS
multiplied by 4.  All the data are now read OK, but when I save as
gnumeric XML I'm seeing:

** (gnumeric:26208): CRITICAL **: file ranges.c: line 921
(range_is_sane): assertion `range->end.col < SHEET_MAX_COLS' failed

** (gnumeric:26208): CRITICAL **: file xml-io.c: line 509
(xml_node_set_range): assertion `range_is_sane (r)' failed

I'm not doing anything "special" with the save.

2. When saving a big file it's quite nice to get a progress indicator.
I notice that gnumeric gives you this when you save as xls, but not
when you save as gnumeric or as text.

Allin Cottrell