Re: Gnumeric sort dialog

On Tue, 2003-09-09 at 03:03, John N S Gill wrote:
In the old dialog you just fired up the dialog, went to the first sort
field, selected column Z, hit OK.

In the new dialog you fire up the dialog, click in the entry box at the
bottom, back to the sheet, scroll across to column Z, select colum, back
to dialog, click 'Add', move the newly added field back to the top.

Let's see. I assume that you have set the number of automatic columns to
0 (in preferences since you seem to prefer the old style).

!) open the dialog
2) click in the entry box at the bottom  (I guess you would prefer
having it pre-selected rather than the sort range. Hmm, users that first
open the dialog and then select the sort range prefer the sort range to
be preselected. There are probably more users that select the sort range
before)
3) type Z1 into the box (would be nicer if we just had to type Z)
4) click add
5) click ok

(I am not sure why you want to move it, in fact since it is the only
column there is no need to move it unless yo are changing your mind or
we finally remember the sort specifications)

I can see though that if you use large ranges and sort by a single
column the old dialog would be faster. In fact an earlier incantation of
the new dialog (where we had a column of `use' checkboxes would have
also been useful.)

I think (hope?) that once the system remembers sort specifications (as
requested by lots of people) you will like the idea of having a dialog
that makes it easier to change th esettings (versus entering them
completely new)

Andreas