Re: Formulas in CSV files

On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 05:34:57PM +0100, Spencer Collyer wrote:
In an old version of Gnumeric (can't remember exactly which one, it was
the one that came with Mandrake 8.0, and was a 0.*.* one) I could import a
CSV file like the following:

---8<------Start File------8<---
1,"=date(2001,12,15)","=time(14,15,0)"
2,"=date(2001,12,15)","=time(14,45,0)"
---8<-------End File-------8<---

and it would correctly interpret the formulas embedded in the file, and
give me the actual formulas.

That was a bug.

Now, however, with Gnumeric 1.0.12 under SuSE Pro 8.2, when I import such
a file, it reads the formulas as strings. If I delete the "'" marker at
the start of them then the formula works correctly, but obviously this is
sub-optimal, and, for big files, a real non-starter.

We could probably add a new format type 'Expression' that would
attempt to parse the string as an expression if possible.  File an
enhancement request and we'll consider it for 1.3.x.