Re: getting postscript for openoffice charts

In comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc, you wrote:
But I'll toss in the reader's digest version here.  And if memory
serves, it wasn't charts but tables I was after.

What I would look for in an export is plain old latex, rather than
reliance on a bunch of program-specific instructions.  An exported
table, for example, should be just plain a table.  It's been a while,
but I think that there were gnumericisms in the table definition to
control spacing.

Someone exporting to latex (or anything else) is likely using the
spreadsheet because making and formatting large tables in latex (and
even lyx) can be a nightmare.  I would expect that far more people want
to export to latex to use it in something else than just to print.

Well, large tables are exactly what the latex exporter is trying to
handle. Since `plain LaTeX' tables are restricted to a maximum size of a
page and cannot span page breaks the exporter is using a longtable
environment. By now that environment is pretty basic LaTeX and available
in virtually every LaTeX distribution.

If you export a table with the LaTeX exporter you can easily use it in
any other laTeX document by including the file via an \include (provided
you load the required packages as given in the comments in the gnumeric
created LaTeX file.)

Andreas
--
Andreas J. Guelzow <aguelzow taliesin ca>
Taliesin