how fonts are assigned

I have problems with the fonts type that gnumeric uses

I would like to know how the system fonts are assigned into gnumeric, to
allow me changes, my problem is

I have select Helvetica as gnumeric font in my gnumeric books, but if I
go to KDE control panel I do not have any Helvetica font

the helvetica font is show in gnumeric as a fixed width font (with a big
inter character separation), if I want to read the cell contents I need
to re-dimension the column width (that is the temporally solution, but
wastes a lot of screen)

is there any idea how to solve it

thanks