Re: gnumeric on win32 (was: Open Office file formats (Oasis-open) and gnumeric)

On Mon, Mar 10, 2003 at 11:27:22PM +0100, Laurent Guerby wrote:
On Mon, 2003-03-10 at 20:15, Jody Goldberg wrote:

True there is no win32 port of Gnumeric as yet.  We've been working
towards a version on gtk+.  However, no one with win32 tools has
stepped forward to help finish the process.  At this point all
libraries that we want to depend on are available.  The only
remaining issues are with some lingering depends on libgnomeui that
will be removed shortly.

Do you mean after that it's just a matter of insisting
to get gnumeric compile as many other gtk+ apps on win32?

Yes.  The only significant tie remaining to libraries above gtk are
the menus and toolbars.  Those are going to transition to the new
eggmenu and eggtoolbar code which will be part of gtk 2.4.

Does it imply that the forthcoming graph and scripting APIs
will not be tied to GNOME / corba (unlike guppi was if I'm not wrong)?

Definitely.  While we'll continue to support a CORBA binding for
Gnumeric (although the api will change) graphing will not be via
CORBA and will have absolutely nothing to do with Bonobo.

Scripting has never been Bonobo or CORBA specific so there are no
ties there either.  The python, Perl, and guile bindings are in
process.

I do not have gtk/win32 know how myself, but I know people
who have (the people behind the GNU Visual Debugger and the
forthcoming GPS - full GTK IDE, see http://libre.act-europe.fr/gvd/
and http://www.act-europe.fr/).

At this point what we really need is someone with the time and the
build tool experience to put together a build system similar to Gimp
or Abiword.  Things won't quite compile, but with a build in place
it will be trivial to make the last few conversions.

Any takers ?